Metal Buildings – The Safe Option for Oil and Gas Industries
The United States has experienced a dramatic shift in the oil and gas industries recently because of more friendly domestic policies that encourage the American production of such commodities. Thanks to these more lenient policies, the oil and gas industries in the country have experienced tremendous growth both financially and on a physical scale.
With this growth has come an exponential increase in the demand for the facilities that accompany such operations. Due to the dangerous nature of extracting, storing, and transporting fuels, said facilities must meet stringent safety standards to protect the safety and wellbeing of the workers on-site, nearby communities, and the environment.
Metal buildings from Safeway Steel have developed a reputation as a safe and cost-effective solution for these needs. For more on how steel structures are the ideal choice for the oil and gas industries in the United States, read on!
The Dangers to Oil Rig Workers
Those who work in the oil and gas industries have difficult and dangerous jobs. Each day, they put their lives in harm’s way. Some of the primary threats to these workers include the following.
- Culture – The work environment that many workers in this industry experience can be detrimental to their wellbeing. From being largely isolated from society to embracing lifestyles that can be self-destructive, the culture present at many facilities can be dangerous.
- Errors – Even with the best training and commitment to caution, human beings are apt to make errors. When working in the oil and gas industry, human errors can be fatal.
- Equipment – The technical equipment and heavy machinery that is used on a daily basis at oil and gas facilities can be quite dangerous, leading to bodily harm and even death if misused or malfunctioning.
- Miscommunication – Sometimes, communication is the difference between a task being executed to perfection and something going tragically wrong.
- Negligence – While many mistakes are purely accidental, negligence can lead to dangerous events that could have been avoided. Unfortunately, such incidents, while uncommon, do occur in the oil and gas industry.
- Recklessness – Unlike negligence, which is often linked to distraction or a lack of thorough care, recklessness is a more active form of danger. While rare, recklessness can be deadly when it occurs.
How Metal Buildings Can Help?
Preventing tragic events from happening and mitigating their damage when they do is key, especially when dealing with volatile substances such as oil and gas. Metal buildings are specifically designed and engineered to do just that.
- Crane Utilization – To facilitate the frequent transportation of heavy objects and assist with routine maintenance and repairs, metal buildings are designed and built with crane use in mind.
- Durability – In the oil and gas industry, extremes are the norm. Harsh working conditions, extreme temperatures, and intense pressure are all common. Steel buildings provide the strength and durability necessary to handle these challenges for years on end.
- Expandability – As the oil and gas industry continues to grow, the ability to quickly and easily expand pre-existing facilities is key. Metal buildings are designed to facilitate just that.
- Fire Safety – Steel is, by nature, more resistant to fire than traditional wooden structures. Steel buildings also make it simple to incorporate additional fire safety measures, including automated sprinkler systems.
- Flexibility – Yes, metal buildings provide versatile space that can be used for many purposes. In this case, though, flexibility refers to the structure itself. Steel can bend to resist collapse when other buildings are likely to break and fail catastrophically.
- Openness – Because oil and gas operations demand large, specialized equipment and machinery, having sufficient open space is vital. Steel buildings provide just that thanks to their strength, engineering, and clear span design.
- Ventilation – When dealing with oil and gas, proper ventilation is not only important but also absolutely vital to the safety and wellbeing of workers. Steel buildings make it easy to incorporate state-of-the-art ventilation systems that meet or exceed the stringent standards of the industry.`
Stay Safe with Safeway Steel!
Safeway Steel is widely regarded as the best metal building dealer in America’s oil and gas industries thanks to its top-quality buildings, exceptional customer service, and uncompromising commitment to safety. If you are searching for the safest, most cost-effective solution to your oil and gas building needs, give Safeway Steel a call today on +1 (800) 818-2245.